Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reflect upon your present blessings...

... of which every man has many - not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. 
- Charles Dickens

Every once in a while, you sort of get the feeling life is reminding you how blessed you are and how much you take for granted. This week has been that reminder.

In the midst of contracts, inspections, notices, and loan documents - I got one of those texts/calls that you never want to get. Last Tuesday, New Year's Day, I found out that one of the guys that I teach with - the guy who had been the only other honors chemistry teacher with me for four years - had a pretty serious car accident New Year's Eve night. He was coming home on the interstate and, for some unknown reason - he fell asleep, hit a slick spot, we really don't know - his Suburban left the highway. It went over the outer road and ended up in a small grove of trees, wrapped around one of them. The good news is that he was wearing his seat belt so even though he broke both bones in his left lower leg, a wrist, and the vast majority of bones in his face; he is alive and will recover.

Since I am one of the two of us chemistry teachers (out of five total) to have a chemistry degree and training, it makes sense that I am the one that will take over most of his class planning duties. This includes planning for AP Chemistry (which, although I have taken a week-long workshop on the topic, I have never taught) as well as continuing to be the lead planner for honors. Of course, this is also in addition to my other two classes - AP Physics B and Senior Physics - and, you know, growing a new human. :)

The thing that keeps tripping me up about all of this is how close we probably came to losing him. I guess, more than anything, it makes me even more aware of living each day to the fullest and - especially with Flash on the way (and making her presence known more and more each day) - to not get so far ahead of ourselves and caught up in all the planning and waiting and wondering about the future that we forget about right here and now.

I didn't (and typically don't) do a New Year's resolution, but I think that thought - of being present today and enjoying the blessings I have been given - is probably somewhere along the lines of my wish and hope for this (crazy, life-changing, overwhelming, and completely and utterly amazing) new year.

SN

No comments:

Post a Comment